I found this on a blog called Last Plane To Jakarta, which I have just begun exploring and which seems to focus mainly on music and politics (don't hold me to that; I've only read a few entries).
This is yet another reason why any of those excuses we hear for going to war with Iraq seem, to me, to be nonsense. The one I'm thinking specifically of here is the justification of war by invoking the oppression of women in certain countries. Any and all rationalizations, while possibly true (see entry on Saddam Hussein indeed being a tyrant), are moot, because a) they were never the real reasons, or b) they don't make sense when you read stories like this. True, the oppression of women is wrong at any level. But come on, which should we go after first, men who force women to be veiled in public or men who gang rape women and mutilate their genital organs thereafter?
(Click here to read Professor Yakin Ertuk's full statement)
When You Get Bored Here, Go Here:
- David Luke Doody
- David Luke Doody is a freelance writer and editor. He is a founding editor of InDigest Magazine (www.indigestmag.com), an online literary magazine and the blog editor for Guernica Magazine (www.guernicamag.com). His writing and interviews have appeared in those magazines as well as in The Huffington Post, mnartists.org, The Minnesota Twins Yearbook, and Intentionally Urban Magazine, among others.
- ► 2009 (40)
- ► 2008 (112)
- Another Last Finale. Goodbye For Now, New York
- Another Night of Great Music?!
- Adios Kate
- A Hard Pill To Swallow
- Always Moving Forward, Looking Back
- Partying With Bands...Kind Of. More Good Music in...
- Who's That Guy?
- What Do You Do With The Pieces of a Broken Heart*
- I 35W Bridge Collapse-A Question
- Rock the Bells Gives Me Something I Thought I'd Ne...
- ▼ August (11)